Cobourg Cycling Club – Rider Safety Bulletin
We appeal to all members regardless of your cycling experience to review our clubs Risk Management Policy which is located on the CCC web site under the Tab “Ride Schedule”. Please also read the OCA’s Cyclist Responsibility Code located on the reverse side of this bulletin.
With respect to our weekly Time Trials (TT’s) due to the higher than normal automobile traffic on hi-way #2 and Archers Road we want to ensure all riders are reminded of the following:
1. Prior to the start of the time trials please stay well onto the shoulder of Normar Road as traffic from local plants can be heavy.
2. When the TT begins please stay as far to the right of the road as possible.
3. If passing other riders or pedestrians please be careful not to pull out in front of any vehicles or other cyclists coming behind you. Also by saying “on your left” you will alert those you are approaching that you are passing them so they can stay to the right side of the road.
4. When making any turns please use appropriate hand signals.
5. Also when making turns please stay in your appropriate lane. Please do not cut corners in a manner that may place you into oncoming traffic.
6. Always be mindful of dirt or gravel on the roads especially in the spring time.
7. At the TT turn around it is crucial that you double & triple checking to ensure that no vehicles or other riders are coming in either direction. This must be done prior to making your left turn.
8. If a ride Marshall is present at the TT turn around please obey his/her instructions. If the Marshall say’s “stop” do so and keep to right shoulder of the road until instructed to continue.
9. When you have completed the TT please make sure you continue to obey the rules of the road. Stay to the right side of the road and look both ways before turning back to the rest area.
10. When at the TT finish rest area cyclists must get completely off the road and everyone is encouraged to stand or sit in the grassy area on the west side of Archers Road.
11. When returning to our start area at Normar Road please ride in a single or double line only and do not engage in any type of race activities.