The aims and objectives of the club are:
- To promote bicycling as an aid to general fitness.
- To educate members and the general public in safe cycling, particularly with regard to safe equipment and bike maintenance, proper cycling habits, and rules of the road.
- To promote and organize for members and non-members cycling events such as short and long distance touring and safety clinics.
- To promote, support, and train potential competitive cyclists (racers) in the community and to organize safe racing events for this purpose.
- To assist other organizations in the municipality in safe cycling activities.
The Cobourg Cycling Club operates under the auspices of the Canadian Cycling Association, the sport-governing body regarding cycling in Canada.